Westbury House was built c. 1905 for John S. Phipps, by the architect George Crawley. John, or Jay as he was known, was the eldest of 3 sons of Henry Phipps, one of Andrew Carnegies partners at Carnegie Steel. He married Margarita Grace, of english decent, and promised her an english style estate similar to the one she had grown up on. What resulted was a giant mansion on roughly 160 acres in Old Westbury, complete with two ponds, a walled garden, numerous outbuildings and more landscaping than a gardner would know what to do with. Jay's two younger brothers and two sisters lived on palatial estates in Old Westbury as well. (Spring Hill, Erchless, Templeton and Knole) Click HERE to see Old Westbury Gardens on google earth. When Jay and Margarita passed away in the late 1950's, their daughter Peggie helped turn Westbury House into a botanical garden open to the public. See OldWestburyGardens.org for their official website.
To the west of the house, down a large staircase is the first pond. On the far side is a reflecting pool with a 10 corinthian columned pergola behind it.
The view from the far end of the walled garden, under the pergola and looking back at the entrance gate.