'Laurelton Hall' was built by and for Louis Comfort Tiffany c. 1904 in Laurel Hollow. Tiffany was the son of Charles Lewis Tiffany, founder of Tiffany & Co. Louis himself was an accomplished artist and interior designer, as well as the President of Tiffany & Co., and founder of numerous Tiffany glass companies. He came to the area in 1890 after he constructed his first house 'The Briars', which eventually burned down. He replaced it with 'Laurelton Hall', which sat on roughly 580 aces, an incredibly unusual and eclectic house with something different around every corner. Tiffany filled the house with all sorts of pieces he designed along with numerous pieces of art from his personal collection. After he died the house was deeded to his foundation and after they abandoned the house it was extensively vandalized and ultimately ruined. The remains were demolished in 1957, though some pieces still exist today. Cick HERE to see where 'Laurelton Hall' stood on google earth. The photos were taken in 1924.
Click below to see 'Laurelton Hall' intact and still standing in a 1953 aerial shot. Photos from the Library of Congress.