'Westbrook' was built for William Bayard Cutting in Oakdale c. 1885 by Charles Haight. Cutting amassed more than 900 acres, with the house situated by the Connetquot River and had the Olmsted Brothers do immense landscaping throughout the estate. This is the only estate on Long Island with landscaping that dates to the time of Frederick Law Olmsted Sr. In 1937, 200 acres were deeded to the State of New York at which point the property became an arboretum. Since then it has increased in size to over 600 acres. Click HERE to see 'Westbrook', now known as the Bayard Cutting Arboretum on google earth.
Click below to see 'Westbrook' in a 1954 aerial shot.