Saturday, March 20, 2010
The J.F.D. Lanier Estate
The estate of James Franklin Doughty Lanier, built c. 1891 by James Brown Lord in Old Westbury. Lanier was a financier and member of the firm of Winslow, Lanier & Co., one of the oldest private banking houses in the country. He was one of the first members of the Meadow Brook Hunt Club and his obituary calls him one of the pioneer automobile drivers in the country. The house was later owned by Charles Steele who gave it an extensive remodeling and was eventually demolished when his grandchildren built a new house on the site.