'The Monastery', the Mrs. Farquhar Ferguson (née Juliana Armour) estate designed by Allen W. Jackson c. 1908 in Huntington Bay under the supervision of Louis Comfort Tiffany. Armour was heir to the Armour & Company meatpacking business founded by her family. She died in 1921 and the following owner, widow of publisher W.J. Connors, eventually attempted to donate the house to science in 1930. Her offer was taken up by a cancer hospital run by doctors from California but they were unable to secure tax-exempt status on the property after push back from the community and it appears the deal fell through. The house was sold again in 1936 and continued to be privately owned until 1964 when Suffolk County took possession of the estate in lieu of $100,000 in back taxes owed on the property. There seems to have been a plan for the Huntington Arts Council to acquire the property but that never materialized. Six years later in early 1970 demolition on the house began to mixed reaction from the community. The NYTimes quoted the village police as reporting "150 youths a night on the 12.5 acre castle site" where the walls had "long since been stripped of their ornamental tiles and sculpture by vandals in recent years and were now full of graffiti." The Times also quoted a workman doing demolition as saying the house was "built better than the Empire State Building" and that the walls, some few feet thick in places, "succumbed reluctantly to battering" from the wrecker's ball. The estate is also known as 'Ferguson's Castle' and 'Ferguson's Folly'. The property was eventually subdivided. Click HERE to see where 'The Monastery' stood on google earth. Click below to see 'The Monastery' intact in a 1953 aerial. Advertisement from Architecture, 1923.