The "Carshalton Gates", made in 1712, were purchased by Coe and installed in 1926 here after he had the road widened to accommodate their immense size.
The main house is a Tudor Revival (1918-1921), done in an attempt to evoke Coe's English background. The interior is full of 16th and 17th Century wooden paneling, stained glass from the home of Anne Boleyn, and immense fire place mantles.
The Camellia House (1917-1922), designed by Guy Lowell. Today the estate is run as an arboretum, open to the general public. Coe was a collector and breeder of rare plants, and the estate continues to carry on the tradition. There are numerous gardens, nature trails, fields, rare trees, rare plants, you name it and Planting Fields pretty much has it. At first Andrew Robeson Sargent, an associate of Guy Lowell, was in charge of landscaping, but after his death the Olmsted Brothers were brought in. What is left today has to be one of the finest examples of landscape architecture on Lond Island.
The 'Italian Blue Pool Garden' (1918) and tea house (1915). This was originally a tennis court but was remodeled by Lowell and Sargent into its current incarnation. This area is currently undergoing restoration.
Click below to see 'Planting Fields' as it looked in a 1966 aerial shot.