Today's photos and write up come from author Ray Spinzia. Sarah Ives Plumb (1840-1877) purchased 'Deer Range Farm', the 400-acre estate of Edwin Augustus Johnson, Sr. in 1872 in East Islip. After her death, her husband James Neale Plumb (1834-1899) inherited the estate and altered the house to the pictured structure (c. 1884). Upon his death, his son James Ives Plumb inherited the estate. In 1903 he sold the estate, which over the years had increased to 700 acres, to George Campbell Taylor who merged it with his adjoining estate to create a 1,500-acre estate. The Plumbs and Taylor continued to call the estate 'Deer Range Farm'. With Taylor’s death in 1907, the combined estates passed to the Taylor/Pyne family corporation which in 1909 demolished the Plumb mansion, portions of which were incorporated into buildings in the Islip and Bay Shore area (seen below). The remaining Taylor mansion and 1,500 acres remained in the family corporation until 1924 when it was confiscated by Robert Moses and became Heckscher State Park. August Heckscher, Sr. gave Moses the money to acquire the land, hence the name of the East Islip park and parkway. Moses subsequently demolished the Taylor mansion.