Wednesday, September 28, 2011
The F. Skiddy Von Stade Estate
The Francis Skiddy Von Stade Sr. estate designed by Cross & Cross c. 1914 in Old Westbury. Skiddy was a member of F.S. Von Stade Co., importers of bristles, but was better known for his equine activities. A polo player in his youth, he was a member of the 1912 and 1913 Cooperstown team that won the Open Championship and played with the Meadowbrook team that won the Open Championship in 1919 and 1920. He was rated at six goals in 1922. Von Stade was a steward of the Jockey Club, was president of the Saratoga Association before NYRA took over the Saratoga track and was a founder and executive vice president of the National Museum of Racing in Saratoga Springs. He was also a charter member of the Grayson Foundation which was involved with equine disease research. He married Kathryn N. Steele, daughter of Charles Steele who owned the former Lanier estate next door. He was also mayor of Old Westbury from 1940 to 1950 and remained a trustee until his death in 1967. The estate was later owned by the Entenmann family and eventually became a dilapidated, abandoned wreck of a house. After sitting on the market for a number of years the property was finally purchased to be subdivided and the main house set to be razed. That work is currently underway. Click HERE to see the Von Stade estate on google earth and HERE on bing. Pictures of the house pre-demolition will be posted soon (as will the c. 1930 alterations by Peabody, Wilson & Brown).