'Box Hill', the Stanford White estate designed by himself (with the help of McKim & Mead) between 1884-1906 in St. James. White had married Bessie Smith of Smithtown in 1884 and purchased a small house in neighboring St. James. White apparently later regretted not tearing the house down to begin with and starting fresh but would go on build numerous additions over twenty years. One of his plans called for the use of two-story tall Corinthian columns White had bought in Connecticut that he was going to float across the Sound but his wife rejected the idea. The columns were used as a driveway entrance instead. The house is extant and still owned by the White family. Click HERE to see 'Box Hill' on google earth and HERE on bing.